Reports to: General Manager (GM), Director of Operations, Ownership
Oversees: All Aquatics facilities, related personnel, and programs
Job Classification: Exempt, full-time, year round
American Resort Management and our affiliated properties require 100% commitment from all associates, regardless of your position or role. You must perform quality work, act professionally in all cases and be a positive influence on our guests and our team. We require smiles, a positive attitude, attention to details and a passion for excellent guest service
Job Scope/ Summary:The position of Director of Aquatics & AGM encompasses the implementation, administration, operations, and on-going evaluation of all Aquatic elements at EPIC Waters, including all water attractions and water staff. The position serves as a member of the Executive Team and is an integral part of the entire EPIC Waterpark strategic initiative. This individual is responsible for ensuring all staff and operating standards in Aquatics area including Park Services upholds the maximum level of safety, cleanliness, upkeep, efficiency and guest experience and satisfaction.
Essential Job Responsibilities and Functions:
- Develop, administer, implement, and monitor all Aquatics department operations, including standard operating procedures in all areas.
- Training, performance, certification and accountability of lifeguards and attendants, and all programs therein associated and as prescribed by American Red Cross, property insurance carrier, ARM, LLC, and all Federal, State, Local, and agency standards. Places the highest priority on aquatic safety and develops the staff to understand and value the same priority for safety.
- Develop, administer, implement and monitor guest experience and related programs in all designated zones.
- Develop, administer, implement and monitor and embrace all aspects of the EPIC Waters service culture.
- Acquire necessary knowledge of all mechanical systems within aquatic facility and demonstrate ability to operate and troubleshoot, as necessary.
- Knowledge of water quality, testing and monitoring procedures and demonstrate ability to react, as necessary to water conditions.
- Develop and execute an effective staffing plan.
- Create zone position charts for waterpark areas.
- Work extensively with engineering to develop and maintain a Preventative Maintenance, cleaning, and tracking program for equipment and facilities in the Aquatics department. This includes all back of the house and related areas.
- Be on the water park floor the majority of service time providing direction to staff and observing the operation. Rotating around all areas continuously and with full awareness of all activities.
- Develop and maintain a consistent system of reporting and record keeping for the Aquatics department, including staff training and certifications, staffing rosters, and rotation sheets.
- Maintain inventory on all attraction inner tubes, rafts and mats; lifeguarding supplies and equipment; and uniform items
- Hold regular, documented Aquatic Team Meetings (ATM) and Continuous Improvement Training (CIT). Demonstrate follow-up, follow-through, and continuous improvement through the proper use of team meetings and team feedback.
- Represent Aquatics on the Executive Team as part of EPIC Waterpark strategic plan.
- Attend Executive Team and supervisor meetings as scheduled. Be a productive and integral member of the Executive Team. Foster good team relationships, actively participate in profitability discussions, be highly aware of property and team goals and how to accomplish the Aquatics Department portion of those.
- Balance the operation of the Aquatics Department in relation to the goals set forth for the entire EPIC Waters operation, including: Guest Satisfaction, Associate Satisfaction, Sales and Revenue Budget and Profitability, Community Presence and Support and Ownership goals.
- Assist the General Manager with all daily operations and projects as assigned
- Act as liaison for the General Manager in their absence
Position Requirements (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Bachelor's Degree from accredited college with concentration in Recreation, Public Administration or closely related field, AND three (3) years' experience working in aquatics environment, preferably with at least one (1) year of supervisory experience, OR an equivalent combination of closely related education, experience, work and training in an environment of similar size and scope.
- Lifeguard Instructor license preferred at time of hire, or must be acquired within 3 months of hire.
- Certified Pool Operator (CPO) of Aquatic Facility Operator (AFO) certificate preferred at time of hire, or must be acquired prior to the property opening date.
- Experience in the design and start-up of a new aquatic facility-preferred.
- Proven track record of building a strong Aquatics team, fostering an environment of respect, open communication, problem solving, priority for the guest and highest regard for life safety.
- Must have the availability to work all shifts, during normal operating hours of the waterpark. The Aquatics Director will work a minimum 50 hour week. Act as Manager on Duty on three shifts per week, at minimum.
- Must work weekends and holidays as needed (any prior commitments must be addressed before starting date).
- Must be able to stand for extended periods. Ability to bend, kneel, reach, push and pull while performing job tasks. Must be able to lift 75 lbs or greater.